Club & District Projects
HEWRAG member Harry Wong has been involved in the following projects
1. Gift of Life since 2001 in China: When I was a member and Community Service Chair of RC Shanghai Provisional in 2000, we set up this project to provide funding to support about 30 to 40 lifesaving surgeries on children with congenital heart defects every year in China. The Year 2021 is the 20th anniversary of the Gift of Life program in Shanghai since 2001 which has saved over 650 children. Patients from various provinces in China come to GOL hospitals in Shanghai for operation. In this year we have in total 13 Rotary Clubs, 8 Districts and 4 GOL hospitals supporting this program.
Besides China, we would like to expand such surgery services to Indo-China countries.
2. TB medications supply to DPR Korea: DPR Korea is well known as one of the top 20 high TB-burden countries in the World. Tuberculosis is major contributor among the communicable diseases with incidence of tuberculosis rate of 513/100,000 (2017). There is high probability of under-diagnosis, especially among children under 5 years of age. Starting 2018, we had a small group of Rotarians worked with KOMT of DPR Korea to identify donors buying TB medications for 500 patients’ 6 months treatment. In 2019 medications were bought in China and sent through KOMT’s Dandong representative to DPR Korea’s hospitals and TB Clinic Centers. We will visit DPRK after pandemic to access treatment results in 4 hospitals there. We are also watching China’s TB situation.
3. Run in Blue to promote awareness of Autism in Suzhou China Every year, my Club RC Suzhou has a “Run in Blue” activity to promote awareness of Autism in Suzhou, China. We have been financing Suzhou Sunflower Autism Children Center to buy tools and equipment, and support their trainings and operations for many years. Upon requests, we also deliver books suitable for autism children to Xin Yu Xing Autism Children Center in Lanzhou China.
4. Cervical Cancer Prevention Trainings to Doctors from Wa Special Region and Kokang of Eastern Myanmar. Trainings were given to doctors from Myanmar for screening operations. They were given screening equipment too. This was held in Kunming in December 2019 in cooperation with medical teams from Beijing Cancer Center and Kunming Medical University No. 1 Hospital. We would like to expand such services to other China areas so as Indo-China countries.
5. Covid-19 Relief: My Club and I have been serving China, Italy, the Philippines, USA, Brazil, DPRK, Myanmar, etc. Recently we have extended our services to Malaysia, Indonesia and India by participating in different Global Grants, mainly providing testing kits, PPEs, oxygen supplies, ventilators and food to hospitals and orphanages.
My Covid-19 Diary will be updated from time to time. See the publications page for Harry's previous diary
March 2020 when they repacked 33000 masks at Pudong Airport distributing to 4 Wuhan Hospitals